[Python-ideas] async objects

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Oct 6 19:12:14 EDT 2016

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> The core distinguishing feature between
> async/await and gevent is the visibility of suspension points, so it
> might as well be the case that async/await is designed for exactly
> those people who want visible suspension points.

They're not quite independent axes, though. Gevent is based
on greenlet, which relies on some slightly dubious tricks at
the C level and doesn't play well with some external libraries.

As far as I know, there's no current alternative that's just
as efficient and portable as asyncio but without the extra
keywords. If you want the full benefits of asyncio, you're
forced to accept explicit suspension points.

--
Greg