[Python-ideas] (no subject)

Nick Timkovich prometheus235 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 13:26:50 EST 2016

I would consider the speed of the "ultimate error handler" (i.e. whatever
prints the traceback and kills the program) in the interpreter to be moot,
so long as it takes a small fraction of a second. Optimizing Python's speed
it crashes super-fast due to an *unhandled* NameError in your program seems
folly.

Regarding more informative messages for (e.g.) IndexError, would those just
apply to built-in types as they're the most universal, or should some
additional introspection be done for similar ducks?

If it's useful/there's interest, I could try to do some analysis of Python
questions on SO and see what the most common errors are. I'd guess things
like "'NoneType' object has no attribute ..." would probably be up there,
but that's a whole can of worms as to why someone's trying to call a method
on, index, etc. something they accidentally whacked (a = a.sort()).