[Python-ideas] Support for OAuth2/OIDC in the standard distribution ?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 08:42:31 EST 2016

On 17 November 2016 at 12:27, Cory Benfield <cory at lukasa.co.uk> wrote:
> This isn’t me disagreeing with you, just me pointing out that the fuzziness around this makes me nervous. It has been my experience that a large number of protocol implementations in the standard library are already struggling to meet their maintenance goals, and I’d be pretty reluctant about wanting to add to that burden.

The fuzziness is a clear and definite issue here. My perspective is
that this far, Python (specifically the core dev team[1]) has done a
good job of balancing that fuzziness. I don't expect this to ever be a
simple decision to make. All I ask is that we avoid countering a
complex decision process with an over-simple guideline (specifically,
that "things don't need to go into the stdlib because of pip/PyPI[2]).

Regardless of how things go in the long term, I think it's good to
keep the debates open in this area, and I appreciate your comments.
I'll certainly be thinking about my personal answers to the questions
you raised, and I expect I'll change at least some of my views as a
result.

Paul

[1] Even though I'm a core dev, I view myself as a "normal user" in
this context, and take no personal credit for the scope of the stdlib.
[2] Ironically, I'm also a pip developer, so if I seem confused, I
claim the right to be :-)