[Python-ideas] Working with Path objects: p-strings?

Koos Zevenhoven k7hoven at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 13:51:53 EDT 2016

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 7:56 PM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
> On 03/30/2016 07:55 AM, Koos Zevenhoven wrote:
>>
>> Sometimes, in interactive sessions, I have wished for this to work:
>>
>>      somedir(relative_file_path).method()
>>
>> ...which is kind of stupid ;)
>

> Do you mean:
>
>   base = Path('source/antipathy')
>   base('test').listdir()

Yes, I think. That is, equivalent to (base / 'test').listdir()

> I don't know about pathlib, but with antipathy's Path [1] you can do:
>
>   base.listdir('test')

I have wished for base.mkdir("subdir") too, but the addition to
pathlib would be backwards incompatible for people that give the mode
argument as a positional argument.

> [1] Yes, that one is mine.  The step is to make it pathlib compatible, which
> will involve, at a minimum, renaming some attributes.

I wonder if it is still possible to rename pathlib attributes (and
keep the old ones as deprecated aliases for a while), now that the
adoption of pathlib is still limited.

-Koos