[Python-ideas] allow `lambda' to be spelled λ

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 23:41:42 EDT 2016

On Friday, July 15, 2016 at 2:31:54 PM UTC+5:30, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> However, any proposals along those lines need to be couched in terms
>
> of how they will advance the Python ecosystem as a whole, rather than
> "I like using lambda expressions in my code, but I don't like the
> 'lambda' keyword", as we have a couple of decades worth of evidence
> informing us that the latter isn't sufficient justification for
> change.

As to the importance of lambdas, on a more conceptual level, most people
understand that λ-calculus is theoretically important.
A currently running discussion that may indicate that this is true and
pragmatic/software engineering levels also
http://degoes.net/articles/destroy-all-ifs

At the other end of the spectrum on notational/lexical question…

On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 10:13:39 PM UTC+5:30, David Mertz wrote:

    I use the vim conceal plugin myself too.  It's whimsical, but I like
> the appearance of it.  So I get the sentiment of the original poster.  But
> in my conceal configuration, I substitute a bunch of characters visually
> (if the attachment works, and screenshot example of some, but not all will
> be in this message).  And honestly, having my text editor make the
> substitution is exactly what I want.

which I find very pretty!

More in the same direction:
http://blog.languager.org/2014/04/unicoded-python.html
Not of course to be taken too literally but rather that the post-ASCII
world is any-which-how going that direction

As for
Nick Coghlan wrote:

> Unicode-as-identifier makes a lot of sense in situations

Do consider:

>>> Α = 1
>>> A = 2
>>> Α + 1 == A