[Python-ideas] A bit meta

Stefan Krah skrah.temporarily at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 18:06:05 EST 2016

Nicholas Chammas <nicholas.chammas at ...> writes:
> Sorry, by default Gmail hides the thread when replying so it’s easy to
forget that you are re-mailing the whole thing out. So normally you would
not even notice that someone has top posted or quoted the entire thread if
you’re reading on Gmail’s web client. Chalk it up to my being a mailing list
n00b.

That's okay, but perhaps your tools aren't as good as you think.

> I hope you also recognize that this particular piece of mailing list
etiquette arose in a time where people did not have nice tooling to do the
work for them, which is part of the point of this discussion.

Have you actually *used* Gnus, mutt, slrn or even gmane.org? You
are again stating things with great certainty while I don't think
you know the subject.

> OK, did I do it right this time?

No, try replying to one of your own posts on gmane.org and you'll see.

> I think Discourse will make etiquette easier to follow by taking care of
repetitive tasks like this for people, instead of requiring that everyone
independently remember to do X, Y, and Z every time they post.

You don't need to: Any of the above options does it automatically.

> And for the record: I’m really taken aback by how cynical your comments
are, and I apologize for ticking you off. I’ll do a better job of following
mailing list etiquette going forward.

It's not about the etiquette: If you come in here and tell us
that our tools are inferior, expect some pushback.

I for example think that http://try.discourse.org/ looks cluttered
and distracting.

Stefan Krah