[Python-ideas] A bit meta

Geoffrey Spear geoffspear at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 11:45:15 EST 2016

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> On 01/29/2016 08:19 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
> I do have to say I find the idea of using a dedicated StackExchange
>> site intriguing. I have been a big fan of its cofounder Joel Spolsky
>> for many years. A StackExchange discussion has some advantages over a
>> thread in a mailing list -- it's got a clear URL that everyone can
>> easily find and reference (as opposed to the variety of archive sites
>> that are currently used), and there is a bit more structure to the
>> discussion (question, answers, comments). I believe there are some
>> good examples of other communities of experts that have really
>> benefited (e.g. mathoverflow.net).
>>

> I am also a big fan of StackExchange, but the StackExchange sites are
> about questions and answers, while Python-Ideas is about ideas and
> discussion.
>
> Given that extensive comments on a question or answer is discouraged,
> multiple answers trying to follow a thread of discussion would be
> confusing, and the person asking the question would be the one selecting
> the "approved" answer (which may have nothing to do with the actual
> outcome), I don't see this as being a good fit.

As a longtime follower of the SE site-creation process, I'd have to agree.
There's pretty much no way such a site would get past the existing
site-creation process. I suspect even a special arrangement with the Stack
Overflow upper management bypassing the regular process wouldn't happen.

In any event, a site that creates the illusion that "Create a Python 2.8!"
having a ton of upvotes means something seems like a Bad Idea.