[Python-ideas] Cross link documentation translations

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 14:04:12 EST 2016

ReadTheDocs supports hosting projects with multiple translations:

| Docs: http://docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/localization.html

- [ ] There could be a dedicated Python Infrastructure ReadtheDocs Docker
instance.
https://github.com/rtfd/readthedocs-docker-images

ReadTheDocs CPython Docs
/en/latest/

* | Docs: http://cpython.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
* | Project: http://readthedocs.org/projects/cpython/

   * [ ] All past revisions
   * [ ] All translations

On Jan 24, 2016 4:41 AM, "Julien Palard" <julien at palard.fr> wrote:

> o/
>
> While translating the Python Documentation in French [1][2], I discovered
that we're not the only country doing it, there is also Japan [3][4], and
Spain [5]. It's possible there's other but I didn't find them (and it's the
problem).

> But there's only a few way for users to find the translations (hearing
about them, or explicitly searching for them on a search engine, which they
won't do, obviously expecting a link from the english version if they
exists).

> So here is my idea: Why not linking translations from the main
documentation?

> I know that's not directly supported by Sphinx doc [6], but separate
sphinx build, blindly (with hardcoded links) linking themselves, may work
(like readthedoc is probably doing). The downside of those links is that
we'll sometime link to untranslated parts, but those parts may be marked as
untranslated [7] to encourage new translators to help.