[Python-ideas] RFC: PEP: Add dict.__version__

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Jan 9 08:21:10 EST 2016

On Sat, Jan 09, 2016 at 01:09:13PM +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> * Given that this is an optimization and not meant to be exact
>   science, why would we need 64 bits worth of version information ?
>
>   AFAIK, you only need the version information to be able to
>   answer the question "did anything change compared to last time
>   I looked ?".
>
>   For an optimization it's good enough to get an answer "yes"
>   for slow changing dicts and "no" for all other cases.

I don't understand this. The question has nothing to do with
how quickly or slowly the dict has changed, but only on whether or not
it actually has changed. Maybe your dict has been stable for three
hours, except for one change; or it changes a thousand times a second.
Either way, it has still changed.

>   False
>   negatives don't really hurt. False positives are not allowed.

I think you have this backwards. False negatives potentially will
introduce horrible bugs. A false negative means that you fail to notice
when the dict has changed, when it actually has. ("Has the dict
changed?" "No.") The result of that will be to apply the optimization
when you shouldn't, and that is potentially catastrophic (the entirely
wrong function is mysteriously called).

A false positive means you wrongly think the dict has changed when it
hasn't. ("Has the dict changed?" "Yes.") That's still bad, because you
miss out on the possibility of applying the optimization when you
actually could have, but it's not so bad. So false positives (wrongly
thinking the dict has changed when it hasn't) can be permitted, but
false negatives shouldn't be.

>   What you'd need to answer the question is a way for the
>   code in need of the information to remember the dict
>   state and then later compare it's remembered state
>   with the now current state of the dict.
>
>   dicts could do this with a 16-bit index into an array
>   of state object slots which are set by the code tracking
>   the dict.
>
>   When it's time to check, the code would simply ask for the
>   current index value and compare the state object in the
>   array with the one it had set.

If I've understand that correctly, and I may not have, that will on
detect (some?) insertions and deletions to the dict, but fail to
detect when an existing key has a new value bound.

--
Steve