[Python-ideas] List Comprehensions

Alexander Walters tritium-list at sdamon.com
Wed Feb 3 05:22:57 EST 2016

On 2/3/2016 05:18, Chris Angelico wrote:
> Yes, that's true - but it's still a new feature for Python 3.5, not a
> change to Python 2. Same with reinstating the u"..." prefix for
> Unicode strings - clearly and solely for Py2 compat, but not a change
> to Py2. Anyone who's proposing changes to the language needs to at
> least be aware of Python 3, and have tried the code in question under
> it. (Yes, there are very rare exceptions, where changes DO happen in
> Py2 - hash randomization comes to mind - but if I were explaining the
> list's purpose to someone, I'd ignore those rarities in the interests
> of simplicity.)
It's also not that simple, since 2.7 got put into a weird state that it
will receive critical feature updates for at least 4 more years. We
kinda have to be open to hearing about them on -ideas.  (I do not
foresee that happening a lot, but it is possible for say... a security
related feature that needs to be added to 2.7 to be suggested here -
like the tls and hmac changes)