[Python-ideas] Input characters in strings by decimals (Was: Proposal for default character representation)

Mikhail V mikhailwas at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 22:06:06 EST 2016

On 8 December 2016 at 03:36, Alexander Belopolsky
<alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 9:07 PM, Mikhail V <mikhailwas at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> it somehow settled in
>> peoples' minds that hex reference should be preferred, for no solid reason
>> IMO.
>
> I may be showing my age, but all the facts that I remember about ASCII codes
> are in hex:
>
> 1. SPACE is 0x20 followed by punctuation symbols.
> 2. Decimal digits start at 0x30 with '0' = 0x30, '1' = 0x31, ...
> 3. @ is 0x40 followed by upper-case letter: 'A' = 0x41, 'B' = 0x42, ...
> 4. Lower-case letters are offset by 0x20 from the uppercase ones: 'a' =
> 0x61, 'b' = 0x62, ...
>
> Unicode is also organized around hexadecimal codes with various scripts
> positioned in sections that start at round hexadecimal numbers.  For example
> Cyrillic is at 0x0400 through 0x4FF
> <http://unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0400.pdf>.
>
> The only decimal fact I remember about Unicode is that the largest
> code-point is 1114111 - a palindrome!

As an aside, I've just noticed that in my example:
s = "first cyrillic letters: \{1040}\{1041}\{1042}"
s = "first cyrillic letters: \u0410\u0411\u0412"

the hex and decimal codes are made up of same digits, such a peculiar
coincidence...

So you were catched up from the beginning with hex, as I see ;)
I on the contrary in dark times of learning programming
(that was C) always oriented myself on decimal codes
and don't regret it now.