[Python-ideas] Force UTF-8 option regardless locale

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 04:29:58 EDT 2016

Le 30 août 2016 02:05, "INADA Naoki" <songofacandy at gmail.com> a écrit :
> How should the option be set?

I propose to add a new -X utf8 option. Maybe if the use case is important,
we might add an PYTHONUTF8 environment variable.

The problem is that I'm not sure that an env var is the right way to
configure Python on such environment? But an env var shouldn't hurt and it
is common to add a new env var with a new cmdline option.

I added PYTHONFAULTHANDLER=1/-X faulthandler for faulthandler and
PYTHONTRACEMALLOC=N/-X tracemalloc=N for tracemalloc.

Victor