[Python-ideas] Fix default encodings on Windows

Sven R. Kunze srkunze at mail.de
Tue Aug 16 14:08:37 EDT 2016

On 16.08.2016 19:44, Steve Dower wrote:
> On 16Aug2016 1006, Sven R. Kunze wrote:
>> Question is: are we in a hurry? Has somebody too little time to wait for
>> the "Right Thing" to happen?
>
> Not really in a hurry. It's just that I decided to attack a few of the
> encoding issues on Windows and this was one of them.
>
> Ideally I'd want to get the change in for 3.6.0b1 so there's plenty of
> testing time. But we've been waiting many years for this already so I
> guess a few more won't hurt. The current situation of making Linux
> developers write different path handling code for Windows vs Linux (or
> just use str for paths) is painful for some, but not as bad as the
> other issues I want to fix.

I assume one overall goal will be Windows and Linux programs handling
paths the same way which I personally find a very good idea.

And as long as such long-term goals are properly communicated, people
are educated the right way and official deprecation phases are in place,
everything is good, I guess. :)

Sven