[Python-ideas] Move this thread! [was: From mailing list to GitHub issues]

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Mon Aug 15 00:59:39 EDT 2016

Please move this discussion to Overload-SIG.  It's off-topic on -ideas
now that the SIG exists.

@overload-sig members: et tu? :-(  I do greatly appreciate the
restraint shown by those who forwarded to the SIG in lieu of reply
here. :-D

The SIG has several experimental channels using different discussion
modes, and is prepared to instantiate more.  That has the advantage of
allowing "head to head" comparison of modes in one (but only one)
realistic setting.  It also encourages thinking about things like
"Mailman with Feature X that Discourse has" (nb, preferring Mailman is
my bias, YMMV).  It is becoming clear from discussion in that SIG that
the responsiveness of the projects providing various communiation
platforms to our needs, or our willingness (and ability) to develop an
appropriate fork, is likely to be important.

https://discuss.python.org/c/overload-sig

    This is a Discourse forum, hosted by python.org.  Register as
    usual for Discourse.  Currently inactive, mostly we've moved to
    Mailman 3 *for now*.

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/overload-sig/

    This is a Mailman 2 list, obsoleted by the Mailman 3 list below.
    Archives only are available at that URL (they haven't yet been
    ported to the Mailman 3 list).  Subscriptions have been moved to
    Mailman 3 permanently, and I think there's a consensus that
    Mailman 3 is a big win over Mailman 2 (though there is no
    consensus on comparison with other modes yet).

https://mail.python.org/mm3/mailman3/lists/overload-sig@python.org/

    This is a Mailman 3 list.  Most likely you're not registered with
    Mailman 3 yet.  Just click the Login button anyway, that will
    provide a registration link.  We currently use Mozilla Persona for
    registration and authentication.  You can use a couple of social
    auth systems for authentication, or register your email with
    Persona in the usual "get a token URI in the mail" fashion.

GitHub

    We probably *soon* will create a github project for overload-sig.

    @Guido: It's *not* a good idea to try this out on -ideas yet
    (unless we don't care if the experimental animal dies).