[Python-ideas] Anonymous namedtuples

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 08:47:09 EDT 2016

On 19 April 2016 at 13:34, Joseph Martinot-Lagarde
<contrebasse at gmail.com> wrote:
> But I still think that my proposal has some value outside of SimpleNamespace. :)

The biggest issue is likely to be that the added value doesn't justify
the cost of new syntax, and a language change. On the other hand,
functions preserving the order of keyword arguments (which would allow
you to write a cleaner factory function) is probably a change with
wider value, as well as being less intrusive (it's a semantic change,
but there's no change in syntax) and so may be more likely to get
through.

A lot of the difficulty with assessing proposals like this is
balancing the costs and benefits, particularly as the costs typically
affect far more people, most of whom don't participate in these lists,
so we have to take a cautious ("assume the worst") view.

Personally, I've not used namedtuple enough to feel that it warrants
dedicated syntax. OTOH, I have wished for something like
SimpleNamespace lots of times, so making that more discoverable would
have been a huge win for me!

Paul