[Python-ideas] Hijacking threads [was: Changing the meaning of bool.__invert__]

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Fri Apr 8 02:08:46 EDT 2016

On 04/07/2016 07:17 PM, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:

> You greatly expanded the scope of the discussion.  The original thread
> was focused on a single feature, and a not so widely used one.  You
> asked 6-7 (rhetorical?) questions below that have nothing to do with the
> original topic.

Thank you, Alexander.  I appreciate the feedback.

It's entirely possible I'm talking to myself, but in case anyone is
listening:

Guido, it felt to me that you were being a jerk.  I was definitely an
ass in response.  For that I apologize.

As for broadening the scope of the discussion I will say this:

So far I have authored or helped with three successful PEPs;  The first
was to amend an incomplete feature (raise from None), and the third was
to add back a feature that had been ripped out (%-interpolation with bytes).

Why were those two even necessary?  I suspect because the folks involved
were only thinking about their own needs and/or didn't have the relevant
experience as to why those features were useful.

Perhaps I am only flattering myself, but I think I try hard to see all
sides of every issue, and the only way I can do that is by asking
questions of those with more or different experience than I have.

I think the current pathlib discussions are a fair indicator:  I don't
particularly care for it, and might never use it -- but I hate to see it
tossed and Antoine's work and effort lost; so I'm working to find a
reasonable way to keep it, and not just in asking questions and offering
ideas -- I volunteered my time to write the code.

I'm starting to ramble so let me close with this:  I'm not sorry for
asking questions and trying to look at the broader issues, and I'm not
going to stop doing that -- but I will stop pursuing any particular
issue when asked to do so... but please don't be insulting about it.

--
~Ethan~