[Python-ideas] Pre-PEP Adding A Secrets Module To The Standard Library

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 00:08:42 CEST 2015

[Steven]
>>> When would somebody use randbelow(n) rather than randrange(n)?

[Tim]

[Andrew Barnert <abarnert at yahoo.com>]
> Anyone who gets confused by randrange(3) also gets
> confused by range(3),

True!

> and they have to learn pretty quickly.

And they do.  And then, in a rush, they slip up.

> Also, randint wasn't created to allow people to put off
> learning that fact. It was created before randrange,
> because Adrian Baddeley didn't realize that Python consistently
> used half-open ranges, and Guido didn't notice. After 1.5 was
> out and someone complained that choice(range(...)) was
> inefficient, Guido added randrange. See the commit comment
> (61464037da53) which says "This addresses the problem that
> randint() was accidentally defined as taking an inclusive range
> (how unpythonic)".Also, some guy named Tim Peters
> convinced Guido that randint(0, 2.5) was surprisingly broken,
> so if he wasn't going to remove it he should reimplement it as
> randrange(a, b+1), which would give a clear error message.

Goodness - you seem to believe there's virtue in remembering things in
the order they actually happened.  Hmm.  I'll try that sometime, but
I'm dubious ;-)

> I suppose randbelow could be implemented as an alias to
> randrange(a), or it could copy and paste the same type
> checks as randrange,

randbelow() is already implemented, in current Pythons, although as a
class-private method (Random._randbelow()).  It's randrange() that's
implemented by calling ._randbelow() now.  To expose it on its own, it
should grow a check that its argument is an integer > 0 (as a private
method, it currently assumes it won't be called with an insane
argument).

> but honestly, I don't think anyone needs it.

Of the four {randbelow, randint, randrange, randbits}, any can be
implemented via any of the other three.  You chopped what I considered
to be "the real" point:

>> "randbelow(n)" has a dirt-simple signature, and its name makes
>> it hard to mistakenly believe `n` is a possible return value.

That's what gives it value.  Indeed, if minimality crusaders are
determined to root out redundancy, randbelow is the only one of the
four I'd keep.