[Python-ideas] Wheels For ...

Sven R. Kunze srkunze at mail.de
Mon Sep 7 18:27:42 CEST 2015

On 07.09.2015 07:39, Nathaniel Smith wrote:

> > Fortunately, lxml has a built-in option (triggered by an env
> variable) for dealing with this, by downloading the source, building a
> local copy of the libs, and statically linking them into lxml, but
> that means you need some way for a package to specify env variables to
> be set on the build server. And can you expect most libraries with
> similar issues to do the same?
>
> Yes, you can! :-)
>
> I mean, not everyone will necessarily use it, but adding code like
>
> if "PYPI_BUILD_SERVER" in os.environ:
>     do_static_link = True
>
> to your setup.py is *wayyyy* easier than buying an OS X machine and
> maintaining it and doing manual builds at every release. Or finding a
> volunteer who has an OS X box and nagging them at every release and
> dealing with trust hassles.

You bet what I just needed to do. Depending on somebody else machine is
really frustrating.

> And there are a lot of packages out there that just have some cython
> files in them for speedups with no external dependencies, or whatever.
> A build farm wouldn't have to be perfect to be extremely useful.

I agree. Just good enough suffices for 80% of all the packages to be in
good shape. Nick mentioned some improvements that are necessary before
we can indulge such a building farm (except the farm itself).

Best,
Sven