[Python-ideas] High time for a builtin function to manage packages (simply)?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 02:20:51 CEST 2015

On 6 September 2015 at 05:49, Giovanni Cannata <cannatag at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Donald, you mean you're the only one in charge of maintaining PyPI? I'm
> sorry for this, I thought that a critical service like PyPI was supported by
> a team. I (and presume other developers) rely heavily on it. Maybe this
> should be brought to the attention of the PSF.

We're aware. PyPI is currently the *only* python.org service with a
dedicated full time developer (and Donald's time is actually
contributed by the OpenStack group at HP rather than being funded
directly by the PSF). There are also a number of organisations that
donate resources to operating the python.org infrastructure (e.g. the
Fastly CDN, and hosting services from Heroku, Rackspace and the Open
Source Lab at Oregon State University).

Bringing paid development in to support community driven projects,
while also ensuring financial sustainability and fiscally responsible
management of contributor's funds is an interesting challenge, and one
the PSF continues to work to get better at.

Regards,
Nick.