[Python-ideas] Add appdirs module to stdlib

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Sep 2 10:27:53 CEST 2015

On 01Sep2015 17:25, Yury Selivanov <yselivanov.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
>>What makes it particularly difficult is that if you "fix a bug" in a
>>library like appdirs, so that it starts suddenly returning different
>>results on some computer somewhere, then what it looks like to the end
>>user is that their data/settings/whatever have suddenly evaporated [...]
>>Generally when applications change how they compute
>>these directories, they also include tricky migration logic to check
>>both the old and new names, move stuff over if needed, but I'm not
>>sure how a low-level library like this can support that usefully...

If it were me I'd want to keep a little state recording what choices were made
for these things and whether those were the defaults. Then you can check that
on next run: if the choice was a default and the default no longer matches,
migrate.

Of course, if the default location for this state changes...

Not pretending I'm offering a comprehensive solution,
I remain,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

"waste cycles drawing trendy 3D junk"   - Mac Eudora v3 config option