[Python-ideas] discouraging direct use of the C-API

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Thu May 7 00:19:03 CEST 2015

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 3:41 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> Python without the C extensions would hardly have had the
> success it has. It is widely known as perfect language to
> glue together different systems and provide integration.
>
> Deprecating the C API would mean that you deprecate all
> those existing C extensions together with the C API.

As Donald noted, I'm not suggesting that the C-API be deprecated.  I
was careful in calling it "discouraging direct use of the C-API". :)

> This can hardly be in the interest of Python's quest for
> world domination :-)
>
> BTW: What can be more drastic than deprecating the Python C API ?
> There are certainly better ways to evolve an API than getting
> rid of it.

I'd like to hear more on alternatives.  Lately all I've heard is how
much better off we'd be if folks used CFFI or tools like Cython to
write their extension modules.  Regardless of what it is, we should
try to find *some* solution that puts us in a position that we can
accomplish certain architectural changes, such as moving away from
ref-counting.  Larry talked about it at the language summit.

-eric