[Python-ideas] discouraging direct use of the C-API

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Wed May 6 18:23:09 CEST 2015

A big blocker to making certain sweeping changes to CPython (e.g.
ref-counting) is compatibility with the vast body of C extension
modules out there that use the C-API.  While there are certainly
drastic long-term solutions to that problem, there is one thing we can
do in the short-term that would at least get the ball rolling.  We can
put a big red note at the top of every page of the C-API docs that
encourages folks to either use CFFI or Cython.

Thoughts?

-eric