[Python-ideas] PEP 492 terminology - (native) coroutine objects

Andrew Barnert abarnert at yahoo.com
Fri May 1 13:24:55 CEST 2015

On Apr 30, 2015, at 22:24, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> Ron Adam wrote:
>
>> A waiter?
>> or awaiter?
>> As in a-wait-ing an awaiter.
>
> The waiter would be the function executing the await
> operator, not the thing it's operating on.
>
> In a restaurant, waiters wait on customers. But calling
> an awaitable object a "customer" doesn't seem right
> at all.

Well, the only thing in the restaurant besides the waiter and the customers is the Vikings, so I guess the restaurant metaphor doesn't work...

Anyway, if I understand the problem, the main confusion is that we use "coroutine" both to mean a thing that can be suspended and resumed, and a function that returns such a thing. Why not just "coroutine" and "coroutine function", just as with "generator" and "generator function".

If the issue is that there are other things that are coroutines besides the coroutine type... well, there are plenty of things that are iterators that are all of unrelated types, and has anyone ever been confused by that? (Of course people have been confused by iterator vs. iterable, but that's a different issue, and one that doesn't have a parallel here.)