[Python-ideas] Geo coordinates conversion in stdlib

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 15:38:30 CET 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 12:16 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

> BTW: If you expect the Python stdlib to make coffee, clean your house
> and drive your kids to school, you're probably looking at the
> wrong language - we only do batteries in the stdlib :-)

Well, I got your point, it is not about GPS module anymore, it is about
inability
of community decisions on the stuff that looks like highly subjective and
personal. I don't think I can get convincing data for that, because nobody
has the money to spend time on that data mining stuff, especially me.

So the final argument would need to be extended to do the research on
Python usage in non-computer science and system programming world
to see if GPS conversion module in standard library provides any value.

That means that we need to find the metrics that will be more useful than
just a PyPI download index.