[Python-ideas] gofmt for Python: standardized styling as a language feature

Ian Lee ianlee1521 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 07:38:24 CET 2015

~ Ian Lee

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 8:42 PM, Alexander Walters <tritium-list at sdamon.com>
wrote:

>  What coding style would be used for such a tool?  PEP-8?  What about a
> tool for those of us who believe that PEP-8 got a few things wrong?
>
> What about for the tribal knowledge that pythonistas develop over time
> that are not part of the standard?  Would such a tool include this?

And perhaps more to the point, should PEP-8 (and if so how), evolve over
time to incorporate newer ideas that the community has now moved towards
accepting as the "more Pythonic way to do things" now with the benefit of
additional hindsight.  I didn't want to derail this conversation, so I spun
off a separate thread to discuss:
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2015-March/032557.html