[Python-ideas] gofmt for Python: standardized styling as a language feature

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Mar 17 23:28:52 CET 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 06:31:10PM +0000, Nicholas Chammas wrote:

> Additionally having a standardized style that can be *applied
> automatically* makes whatever benefits of the style guide that much
> more prevalent in the greater community and actually effective.

If you're talking about Gofmt and Gofix and enforcing PEP-8 rules for
variable names, you're basically talking about refactoring tools, not
merely source code reformatters. Do you have such tools you would like
to propose for the standard library?

If you do have such tools, or would like to volunteer to write them,
then they should spend some time as a third party project to knock the
sharp edges off them. Once their usefulness is well-established and
proven, and their API and featureset stable, then they can be proposed
for the standard library.

Unlike Go-lang, which has the resources of Google behind it and can just
pay some person or persons to work on this with as high a priority as
Google wishes to give it, Python is reliant on volunteers. For major
proposals like this, you're likely to get much more traction if you are
volunteering yourself, rather than just hoping to convince somebody else
to volunteer.

I think good refactoring tools for Python would be useful. I'm not
volunteering to write them.

--
Steve