[Python-ideas] Rewriting the build system (part 2)

Ryan Gonzalez rymg19 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 21:33:11 CET 2015

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov>
wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 6:24 AM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> "Autotools has reached the Chandrasekhar mass limit of software and
>> become a black hole of suck that consumes endless hours of bright
>> peoples’ time without any good result. It is well past time for it to
>> die." (c) "Autotools must die", ESR. http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=1877
>>
>> I couldn't sum up this better. It looks even worse from Windows machine.
>>

> Is it even used for building Python on Windows (for the "normal"
> python.org builds)?

No. Some random batch file is used. That's all I know.

However, when building without MSVC/VS2008, you need MinGW, which means
you'll end up using autotools.

> But to miss-paraphrase Winston Churchill [1]:
>
> "Autotools is the worst build system except for all the others."
>
> Is there really something better out there?

Fbuild, Waf, Meson, GN, Boost.Build, Tundra, Bam, ...

> -CHB
>
> [1]
> http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/267224-democracy-is-the-worst-form-of-government-except-for-all
>
> --
>
> Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
> Oceanographer
>
> Emergency Response Division
> 7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax
>
> Chris.Barker at noaa.gov

Ryan
[ERROR]: Your autotools build scripts are 200 lines longer than your
program. Something’s wrong.
http://kirbyfan64.github.io/