[Python-ideas] Migration of /usr/bin/python to python3

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Mar 16 00:06:34 CET 2015

On Mar 14, 2015, at 08:50 PM, Andrew Barnert wrote:

>Maybe in 5-10 years we'll be at a point where you can count on the symlink
>being there on most *nix systems that have Python 2 pre-installed. Except, of
>course, that most *nix systems won't have Python 2 pre-installed anymore by
>then (and those that do will probably overlap quite a bit with the ones that
>don't have the symlink).

That's the point.  By the time Python 2.7 EOLs and (IMHO) we make any change
to /usr/bin/python, there will have been plenty of time to make sure anybody
running a modern OS version will have the python2 symlink.

Given how easy it is to add yourself, I'm not worried about legacy systems or
rebels who wouldn't add the link.

Cheers,
-Barry