[Python-ideas] Rewriting the build system (part 2)

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 21:01:30 CET 2015

On Mar 13, 2015 2:41 PM, "Ryan Gonzalez" <rymg19 at gmail.com> wrote:

> That written in Python, so Python would require Python to build which
would require Python to build which would require...

> Besides, SCons sucks. If I were using a build system written in Python,
I'd use fbuild or Waf.

Apparently, Waf started as a fork of SCons. [1][2]

[1]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12569463/choosing-between-scons-and-waf-in-large-projects
[2] http://www.scons.org/wiki/SconsVsOtherBuildTools#Waf

I don't know anything about fbuild; others might.

A feature/alternative matrix could be helpful (in addition to a preliminary
implementation) for making a cogent argument (in PEP form [3][4]). This is
possible in RST with table or list-table syntax.

[3] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/#pep-formats-and-templates
[4] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0009/