[Python-ideas] Migration of /usr/bin/python to python3

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Mar 12 01:20:49 CET 2015

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 06:12:00PM -0500, Ryan Gonzalez wrote:

> Please, just explicit major versions, not minor ones. python3, not
> python3.4. Just earlier this year I had to fix about 20 scripts that ran
> perfectly on 3.4 but whose hashbang explicitly used 3.1. It sucks.

Funny about that, I had exactly the opposite experience: a bunch of
scripts which worked fine with Python2.3 but failed with 2.6. (`raise
"string"` was removed in 2.6.) Fortunately, the author of the scripts
was an old-school Unix grey-beard who used the full path to the
versioned interpreter, so I was able to install 2.3 and have them just
work.

Fixing hashbang lines is much simpler than trying to fix the scripts
themselves.

--
Steve