[Python-ideas] unittest.failureExeption(msg, data=None): add optional data kwarg to failureException() of unittest

Thomas Güttler guettliml at thomas-guettler.de
Wed Mar 4 06:55:38 CET 2015

Am 04.03.2015 um 02:45 schrieb Neil Girdhar:
> Says it right in the documentation:
>
> failureException
> <https://docs.python.org/2/library/unittest.html#unittest.TestCase.failureException>
>
> This class attribute gives the exception raised by the test method. If a
> test framework needs to use a specialized exception, possibly to carry
> additional information, it must subclass this exception in order to “play
> fair” with the framework. The initial value of this attribute is
> AssertionError
> <https://docs.python.org/2/library/exceptions.html#exceptions.AssertionError>

You are right.

And if you want to assertEqual(a, b) to capture a and b,
you need to replace assertEqual to forward the values to
your own failureException.

I guess we will go this way: replace failureException and
assertEqual(), assertIn(), ....

No change in Python's unittest lib is needed.

Thank you for your reply.

  Thomas Güttler

--
http://www.thomas-guettler.de/