[Python-ideas] solving multi-core Python

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Jun 21 11:54:43 CEST 2015

On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 23:01:20 -0600
Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com>
wrote:
> The only consequential shared piece is the
> GIL and my proposal should render the GIL irrelevant for the most part.

All singleton objects, built-in types are shared and probably a number
of other things hidden in dark closets... Not to mention the memory
allocator.

By the way, what you're aiming to do is conceptually quite similar to
Trent's PyParallel (thought Trent doesn't use subinterpreters, his main
work is around trying to making object sharing safe without any GIL to
trivially protect the sharing), so you may want to pair with him. Of
course, you may end up with a Windows-only Python interpreter :-)

I'm under the impression you're underestimating the task at hand here.
Or perhaps you're not and you're just willing to present it in a
positive way :-)

Regards

Antoine.