[Python-ideas] Using semantic web (RDF triples) to link replacements for modules in standard library

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 15:34:03 CEST 2015

I failed to bring any attention to
https://bitbucket.org/techtonik/python-stdlib
to crowdsource collecting data about
modules in stdlib, and was even warned not to
distract people in @python.org lists to work on
it, so I thought about a different way to
decentralize the work on standard library.

We have the data about top Python modules
that need a redesign
http://www.google.com/moderator/#15/e=28d4&t=28d4.40
but no way to propose alternatives for each
module.

So, I propose to use wikidata for collecting
that info:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Tours
1. define concept for Python stdlib
2. define concept of module for Python stdlib
3. add a property "replacement of'
4. provide a web interface for viewing that info

There is no interested entity in sponsoring the
development of model and workflow in my
region, and the job contracts that are available
to me right are unlikely to allow me to work on
this stuff, so I hope that this idea will take some
traction from people interested to put semantic
web to some good use, and won't be affected
by "dead by origin" curse.
--
anatoly t.