[Python-ideas] Better Type Hinting

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 09:10:56 CEST 2015

On 5 June 2015 at 16:19, Stephen Hansen <me+python at ixokai.io> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2015, at 11:01 PM, Andrew Barnert via Python-ideas wrote:
>> On Jun 4, 2015, at 22:36, Thomas Güttler <guettliml at thomas-guettler.de>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > It would be great to have better type hinting in IDEs.
>>
>> Is PEP 484 not sufficient for this purpose?
>
> It's really not.
>
> For one thing, PEP 484 isn't going to result in the standard library
> being hinted all up (though I assume someone may make stubs).

Doing exactly that is a core part of the PEP 484 effort, since it's
needed to assist in Python 2 -> 3 migrations:
https://github.com/JukkaL/typeshed

One of the advantages of that is that more specific signatures can be
added to stdlib stubs and benefit IDEs in existing Python versions,
rather than having to wait for more explicit signatures in future
Python versions.

Cheers,
Nick.