[Python-ideas] Syntax: 'return: ...' expressions

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 03:27:37 CET 2015

Hi Franklin.

On 2015-01-20 12:15, Franklin? Lee wrote:
> [...]
> Will this Guido post suffice as a substitute?
> http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=147358

Language design is not just solving puzzles? I read it very closely
before starting this thread :-) To be honest, after reading it I came
away thinking that language design/API design/whatever technical design
really _can_ be just solving a puzzle--if you encode unseability as one
of the parameters of the puzzle.

> Yawar might also need this, if he chooses to pursue this path.
> https://wiki.python.org/moin/AlternateLambdaSyntax

Thanks, I read that pretty closely too. From what I could tell, they are
all rather unfeasible for the simple reason that Python doesn't allow
statements inside of expressions (nor should it--I believe; it would not
be a good fit for the current syntax). The closest I've seen to one of
those alternate lamba syntaxes being implemented is in the Mochi
language, which compiles down to Python 3 bytecode.

Personally, I've gone in a different direction--Google my name + lambdak
and you will find it :-)

Regards,

Yawar