[Python-ideas] What's going on with PEP 448 - Additional Unpacking Generalizations ?

Joshua Landau joshua at landau.ws
Tue Jan 20 15:18:51 CET 2015

On 20 January 2015 at 11:02, Neil Girdhar <mistersheik at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been working on the patch for PEP 448.  Are the restrictions on the
> order of arguments in a function call partially or fully lifted?

I believe we settled on

    function(
        argument or *args, argument or *args, ...,
        kwargument or *args, kwargument or *args, ...,
        kwargument or **kwargs, kwargument or **kwargs, ...
    )

as the most likely candidate.

Guido said
> Regarding the decision about the allowable syntax for argument lists,
> I prefer to keep the existing restriction

See https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2013-July/021872.html
for the discussion.

> Currently, we can do:
> def f(a, b, c, d):
>     pass

> After PEP 448 can we do:

> ?

These should be OK, if I've understood the sentiment.