[Python-ideas] Adding `pathlib.Path` method that would send file to recycle bin

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Jan 5 02:13:12 CET 2015

On Sun, Jan 04, 2015 at 11:01:08PM +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> For those curious as to "Why not the wiki?", a Sphinx project hosted
> on a pull request capable service like GitHub, BitBucket or Kallithea
> offers a much nicer workflow for reviewing of proposed changes,
> together with an integrated issue tracker for submitting proposals for
> updates (https://github.com/pypa/python-packaging-user-guide/ is the
> project behind packaging.python.org, for example).

The concept of "proposed changes" goes completely against the grain of
community-managed content. Imagine if Wikipedia required you to make
pull requests.

The question to be asked is not whether "pull requests" are "nicer" than
a wiki, but whether this information needs to be owned by a single
person (or a small group thereof), and hence use the
packaging.python.org module, or owned by the whole community, and hence
use the wiki model.

At the moment, the wiki is horribly underused. I'm not blaming anyone
for that, I'm just as much to blame as anyone else. I have made far more
contributions to the ActiveState recipes than I have to the Python wiki.
But I'd really like to see the wiki become the second place people look
for information, after the official docs. And hopefully there won't be a
need for a third place :-)

Although the quality of contrabutions is variable, the PHP community has
made a very interesting decision to integrate community-supplied
information with official docs:

http://php.net/manual/en/function.dechex.php

I wonder how we might do something similar?

--
Steve