[Python-ideas] Adding `pathlib.Path` method that would send file to recycle bin

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Jan 4 21:35:07 CET 2015

On Mon, 5 Jan 2015 06:25:01 +1000
> On 5 Jan 2015 05:25, <random832 at fastmail.us> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 2, 2015, at 20:50, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
> > > You have a choice of desktop
> > > environments, which may or may not provide a move-to-trash API,
> > > including no desktop environment at all. Gnome provides an API for
> > > moving to trash, but I don't know how well it supports the freedesktop
> > > standard; KDE supports the freedesktop standard, but I don't know if it
> > > provides an API that can be called. XFCE has partial support.
> >
> > I don't see why you need to call an API to the desktop enviroment. The
> > entire point of the spec is to provide compatibility _between_
> > implementations on the same filesystem - you can quit gnome and log into
> > KDE and see the same trash.
>
> That compatibility is implemented *by* the desktop environments. Yes, you
> could write your own, but why would you, when the whole point of providing
> a standard API would be to integrate more cleanly with the underlying OS.

For the same reason that we ship a HTTP server while we could integrate
more cleanly with Apache? :-)
When there's a well-defined spec, it can be simpler to implement the
spec yourself rather than pull third-party dependencies, especially
when those happen to be huge as may be the case with desktop
environments.

Regards

Antoine.