[Python-ideas] Show deprecation warnings in the interactive interpreter

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Wed Feb 25 23:04:43 CET 2015

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 1:45 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 2/25/2015 3:39 AM, Ben Finney wrote:
>>
>> Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com>
>> writes:
>>
>>> What you are think about turning deprecation warnings on by default in
>>> the interactive interpreter?
>
> I don't really get the point.  It seems to me that the idea is to have
> warnings optionally on during development, always off during production.
> Most development, especially of 'permanent' code, does not take place at the
> interactive prompt.

This reasoning seems backwards to me. It doesn't matter whether there
is also code being developed non-interactively; the question is, for
that code which *is* developed interactively, should warnings be
visible by default.

BTW, the people around me seem to be developing possibly a majority of
their code these days by starting out iteratively refining stuff using
the ipython notebook as a REPL.

--
Nathaniel J. Smith -- http://vorpus.org