[Python-ideas] Draft2 PEP on string interpolation

Mike Miller python-ideas at mgmiller.net
Fri Aug 28 19:13:33 CEST 2015

On 08/28/2015 08:11 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Thanks, this looks much better, if we ever want to go in this direction. (Though
> I think you may want to separate the field names into two parts, the expression
> text and the format spec.)

It does currently separate the expression texts from the format specs
internally, it felt excessive to pass them in separately in the constructor, as
I'm sort of complaining about below.  But, the end-developer won't see this
typically, so it could be done before or after I suppose.

Anyone have a preference?

> Can you work with the team at peps at python.org <mailto:peps at python.org> to get a
> PEP number for this?

Yes, nice to have a third alternative to choose from.

-Mike