[Python-ideas] Forward-References & Out-of-order declaration

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Aug 25 22:48:53 CEST 2015

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 11:03 AM, Sven R. Kunze <srkunze at mail.de> wrote:

> While reading material for implementing some kind of import hooks and so
> forth for the xfork package, I came across this one:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16907186/python-model-inheritance-and-order-of-model-declaration
>
> Reactivated in my mind, after reading Prof. Humbert's request of adding a
> "more forwarded" referencing of classes, I just wanted to ask:
>
> 1) What is the general opinion regarding having a more declarative style
> when writing modules?

It would be a nice idea for a different language. Python's execution model
would have to be changed dramatically in order to support this (outside the
very narrow case of annotations or the cases where it already works). This
just isn't going to happen -- too much code relies on the existing
execution model.

> 2) That given, what is the general opinion about introducing the
> out-of-order declaration asked for in the StackOverflow posts?

I couldn't extract an actual proposal from the stackoverflow link you gave.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)