[Python-ideas] Draft PEP on string interpolation

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Aug 25 02:03:17 CEST 2015

Eric V. Smith wrote:
> An f-string would be shorthand for str(i-string).

If I understand correctly, the point of i-strings would
be to make it easy to do things like sql argument
interpolation the right way.

But if sql(f-string) is still legal (as it seems like
it would have to be for quite a while to come, for
backwards compatibility) then the wrong way is still
just as easy as the right way, and no less obvious
(what do the letters "f" and "i" have to do with sql?).

So it seems to me that having both f-strings and
i-strings will just add a lot of complication and
confusion without really helping anything.

--
Greg