[Python-ideas] pep-0484 - Forward references and Didactics - be orthogonal

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Aug 25 05:05:54 CEST 2015

Sven R. Kunze writes:
 > On 24.08.2015 06:19, Prof. Dr. L. Humbert wrote:
 > > At this very moment (python 3.5rc1), it is not possible, but we need it,
 > > so the construction will be orthogonal from the point of view for
 > > students(!) - _one_ concept should work in different circumstances.
 >
 > How about not using type hints when teaching the basics of trees?

That's somewhat unfair.  I'll let Prof. Humbert explain his own
thinking, but I can imagine a number of pedagogical contexts where I
would use Python because it doesn't get in the programmer's way very
often, but require students to provide type hints as a compact (and
machine-checkable!) way of documenting that aspect of their design.  I
found his pedagogical approoach perfectly plausible when he posted
originally.