[Python-ideas] pip list shows "name meta info of the package" which is of no use

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 21:48:10 CEST 2015

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 5:37 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> pip is actually developed as a separate project from python itself -- if
> you're interested in improving pip then your best bet is to get in touch
> with them through their mailing list or their bug tracker.

So, most minimally, what could be added to pip list would be a flag to
retrieve/read package metadata?

* https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pip/json
* PEP 426: pydist.json
* wheel: metadata.json

And then the usage information I would expect to be in

* the ``long_description`` field #[ in package JSON ]
* the ``packages`` and/or ``namespace_packages`` fields #[ NOT in the
package JSON, AFAICT ]
  (sometimes as determined by find_packages()
  https://pythonhosted.org/setuptools/setuptools.html#using-find-packages )

* Src: https://github.com/pypa/pip
* https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues
* Src: https://github.com/pypa/pip/blob/develop/pip/commands/list.py#L19