[Python-ideas] PEP 487

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Aug 12 14:25:34 CEST 2015

Neil Girdhar writes:

 > Has there been any progress with PEP 487?  I am finding myself
 > writing a lot of boilerplate because of Python's so-called
 > "metaclass hell".  What are the problems with PEP 487?

According to the PEP, the code (metaclass, now in version 1.1 on PyPI)
is in a module on PyPI and in successful use at least by the author.
The PEP proposes adding it to the stdlib after experience with the
PyPI module.

@Martin: The section Connections to Other PEP begins, "This is a
competing proposal to PEP 422".  I suggest some kind of clarification
that PEP 422 has been withdrawn.  Something like "This is a competing
proposal to PEP 422 (withdrawn in favor of this PEP) ...", or even
just adding "(withdrawn)".  (I know the header says "replaces", which
is why I find the current wording confusing.)

Steve