[Python-ideas] String interpolation for all literal strings

Jim Baker jim.baker at python.org
Fri Aug 7 01:08:00 CEST 2015

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> Really, the only nasty bit about flufl.i18n's implementation is the use of
> sys._getframe().  Fortunately, it's a big of ugliness that's buried in the
> implementation and never really seen by users.  If there was a more better
> way
> of getting at globals and locals, that was Python-implementation
> independent,
> that would clean up this little wart.

Jython supports sys._getframe, and there's really no need to not ever
support this function for future performance reasons, given that the work
on Graal[1] for the Java Virtual Machine will eventually make such lookups
efficient.

But I agree that it's best to avoid sys._getframe when possible.

- Jim

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/graal/