[Python-ideas] fork - other approaches

Sven R. Kunze srkunze at mail.de
Tue Aug 4 20:34:41 CEST 2015

On 04.08.2015 04:46, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Perhaps a better way to express what I meant is "Syntax can express
> exchangeability already present in the computational structure.  It
> cannot impose exchangeability not present in the computational
> structure."
I completely agree with this. So, we still need a syntax. ;)

As the table of the thread 'Concurreny Modules' suggest, coroutines
aren't that different if they can fit into that matrix alongside with
processes and threads.

Just internal technical differences and therefore different properties
(let me stress that: that is overly desirable) but a common usage still
leaves much to be desired.
> Exactly what I said: you're trying to change a statement that has
> always meant sequential iteration of statements containing side
> effects like assignments, and have it also mean parallel execution
> where side effects need to be carefully controlled.  That will cause
> trouble for people reading the code (eg, they now have to understand
> any function calls recursively to understand whether there might be
> any ambiguities), even if it doesn't necessarily cause trouble for you
> writing it.

I never said I wanted to change the 'for' loop.

Your logic ('you need this, so you need that and thus you need these')
came to that conclusion but it wasn't definitely not me.

And I am not sure I agree with that conclusion.