[Python-ideas] Top 10 Python modules that need a redesign Was: Geo coordinates conversion in stdlib

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Mon Apr 6 22:58:11 CEST 2015

On Sun, Apr 5, 2015, at 00:00, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> As I understand it, the list of codes accepted is platform-dependent.
> While many codes are standard from machine to machine, some are not
> available on some systems.

In my opinion all codes accepted by C11 *should* be supported by python;
its present failure to do so is a wart. Any new work to address this
issue should be in the form of a pure python strftime function rather
than an effort to document every platform's idiosyncracies.

In particular, none of the specifiers in the standard _except_ %z or %Z
require any platform-specific logic. And these could be addressed by
likewise supporting tm_zone and tm_gmtoff on platforms that do not
provide them.