[Python-ideas] Top 10 Python modules that need a redesign Was: Geo coordinates conversion in stdlib

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Sat Apr 4 09:22:47 CEST 2015

Note also that a PEP does not need to be the first step.

Write the code, ask people to try it out, if others like it, they may test
and contribute, etc.

While a PEP may be necessary to get something into the stdlib or core, it
can be a document that captures the interactive, "agile" process -- it does
not need to be design up-front.

-CHB

On Saturday, April 4, 2015, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 7:33 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > Author is me, so you can ask directly. Why I didn't propose to redesign?
> > Because people will assume that somebody will need to write PEP and will
> > force me to write one. I don't believe in "redesign by specification"
> like
> > current PEP process assumes and people accuse me of being lazy and
> trolling
> > them, because I don't want to write the PEPs. Damn, I believe in
> iterative
> > development and evolution, and I failed to persuade coredevs that
> practices
> > digged up by people under the "agile" label is not some sort of corporate
> > bullshit. So it is not my problem now. I did all I am capable of.
>
> Why, exactly, is it that you don't want to author a PEP? Is it because
> you don't have the time to devote to chairing the discussion and all?
> If so, you could quite possibly persuade someone else to. I'd be
> willing to take on the job; convince me that your core idea is worth
> pursuing (and make clear to me precisely what your core idea is), and
> I could do the grunt-work of writing. But you say that you "don't
> *believe in*" the process, which suggests a more philosophical
> objection. What's the issue, here? Why are you holding back from such
> a plan? *cue the troll music*
>
> There are many Pythons in the world. You can't just hack on CPython
> and expect everything to follow on from there. Someone has to explain
> to the Jython folks what they'll have to do to be compatible. Someone
> has to write something up so MicroPython can run the same code that
> CPython does. Someone, somewhere, has to be able to ensure that
> Brython users aren't caught out by your proposed change. PEPs provide
> that. (They also provide useful pointers for the "What's New" lists,
> eg PEP 441.)
>
> So, are you proposing a change to Python? Then propose it.
>
> ChrisA

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov