[Python-ideas] Top 10 Python modules that need a redesign Was: Geo coordinates conversion in stdlib

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 22:16:47 CEST 2015

On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 2:25 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> I don't understand why people bother with this gentleman.

I did see constructive input from Anatoly on the bug tracker before.  I
believe other developers did too.  Granted, in the last few years
signal-to-noise ratio in his posts was rather low, but I usually ignore the
"from:" header in the technical discussions.

I am genuinely interested in the ways to improve date/time formatting in
Python.  There are certainly better ways than stftime.  For example, ICU
has a date/time format syntax that is much more readable: instead of
"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S", ICU format is "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss".

I don't think it is hard to find a way to introduce ICU format in
datetime.__format__ while preserving backward compatibility.  For example,
we may require that % is always "escaped" as '%' in ICU format
and the presence of unescaped % can trigger strftime interpretation.

[1] http://userguide.icu-project.org/formatparse/datetime